SKI MOUNTAINEERING TOUR ON MOUNTAIN KAZBEGI (SKI 05 EN)
Territory of the southern side of the Caucasus – GEORGIA
Tour length : 10 days (period of stay at the destination – 9 days)
The ideal time for a tour realization : March, April, May
Climb to five thousand Kazbegi represents a serious hill-climbing tours and in combination with the possibility of the ski mountaineering downhill to the Gergeti also a wonderful ski experience. Due to the height of the mountains, it must be count with time for acclimatization, which is necessary in the climbing to those heights. Kazbegi is nearly the perfect the mountain for ski mountaineering, the slopes are not overly steep, however the terrain on the upper part is glacier, therefore, is the need to walk roped with experienced guide who knowledge of the terrain eliminates the risk of falling into the cracks.
Caucasus - Kazbegi (Georgia), base – Gergeti, Bethlemi Hut
Price per person (in a given number of persons in the group):
minimum 4 person in group
- Pick up the group at the airport in Tbilisi ( or Kutaisi)
- All the transports in accordance with the program
- Accommodation :
- Tbilisi (1 night) in 3* hotelin
- Gudauri (3 nights) in local gesthouse
- Betlemi Hut (4 nights) in the former weather station
- Half board : breakfast and a hot dinner in guest houses - excellent quality, big quantity, food and catering during climbing to the mountain is not included in the price, there is possibility to price it and after agreement prepare full board during the climbing
- 1-2 guide per group
Price does not include:
- The international airplane ticket to/from Tbilisi (or Kutaisi)
- Health and travel insurance
- All services not mentioned in the programme
- Individual transports
- Rental equipment
- The cost of a rescue
- Drinks and food, which are not included in the price of group menu and the boarding during climbing to the mountain
- Optionally skipass in Gudauri
- Optionally porters of the equipment from Gergeti to Bethlemi Hut
Detailed itinerary of the trip:
1. day - Arrival to Tbilisi (Kutaisi). Crossing to the Gudauri. Accommodation in a local hotel. Preparation for the next day. Dinner, lodging.
2. day - After breakfast acclimatization climbs in the area of the ski resort of Gudauri, or freeriding in the resort by using of the chairlifts. The possibility of the climbing to the elevations around 3300meters. Dinner, overnight in the guest house.
3. day - After breakfast acclimatization climbs in the area of the ski resort of Gudauri, or freeriding in the resort by using of the chairlifts. The possibility of the climbing to the elevations around 3300 meters.After that the preparation of the equipment for the climb of the Kazbegi. Rest, dinner, lodging in the guest house.
4. day – After breakfast (early morning) crossing by car from Gudauri to Kazbegi at the beginning of the climb. The climb with skiis from the end of the village of Gergeti to the Bethlemi Hut (3680 m). Here, accommodation, rest and sleeping in sleeping bags in simple rooms of the former weather station. There is a kitchen for cooking, it is necessary to drown snow for water.There is not heating in the cottage! The heat is only in the room of local guides and the kitchen.
5. day – Acclimatization climb to the plateau to the height of about 4400 m. Return back to the weather station, rest, dinner, lodging
6. day – Early morning breakfast (about 3 am), at 4 am. the beginning of the ascent up to the top Kazbegi. After the climbing the return back to the weather station, rest, dinner, lodging
7. day – A reserve day for the case of bad weather, or reserve for those who are more slowly acclimated to the altitude.
8. day – Morning ride back to the Gergeti, snacks, rest and departure back to Tbilisi (possibly to Kutaisi). Along the way maybe stop in Yago's vine. Upon the arrival accommodation in the hotel, rest, final dinner, lodging.
- Ski mountaineering equipment - shoes, skis, belts, canes or split snowboard
- Rope, harness, carabiners, slings and other equipment for the ascent on the glacier
- Ski mountaineering clothes or for climb with board
- Crampons, ice axe
- Glasses, Feather jacket
- Avalanche search engines, probe, shovel- possibility to rent
- Sleeping bag, towel, things of personal hygiene
- Personal pharmacy, insurance
- Stove, dishes, spoons, food for the climb...
Accommodation during the trip:
- Tbilisi or Kutaisi (1 night) in 3*hotel
- Gudauri (3 nights) in local guesthouse
- Bethlemi Hut (4 night) in local guesthouse
Meal on trip:
- Breakfast is always in the guesthouse it’s included in accommodation-always hot food as: porridge, roasted potatoes, scrambled eggs,etc.
- ....in weather station – breakfast from brought provision - porridge, bread, cheese, salami, etc
- Dinner is always composed from soup, main meal (Chachapuri, Kupdari, Chinkali, etc.) and dessert or fruit-huge portion, home cooking.
- ....in weather station – dinners from brought provision-soup, instant meals, mashed potatoes, cans
- Lunches are not included in the price, unless there is not another agreement.
- ....on climb packet includes bread, cheese, salami, fruit, chocolate, energetic chopsticks
- Water, tea and anothers alcohol free drinks are included in menu, rest of the drinks are paid by each participant.
- Final dinner in Tbilisi
Transport during the tour and transportation of luggage:
- By plane : international flights to/from Tbilisi(or Kutaisi) - ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE OF TRIP!
- By car : Journey from airport in Kazbegi and back, all possible transports to each climb in the region.
There is also a variant with arrival and departure from/to Kutaisi. The price of the fly tickets is better, but the transport to Kazbegi is longer ( and more expensive).
- we provide the option of hire ski mountaineering skis and other equipment required for the climb to the Kazbegi
- we provide the option of hire of avalanche search engines, probes and shovels
- we provide lending cookers, dishwashers for climb, or a complete boarding during the ascent
- we arrange suitable insurance for this kind of sports activities (Alpenverein)